The Highlands Consulting Group provides a broad range of emergency management services in support of Federal, state and local government objectives. We assist organizations in planning and preparing for unforeseen events and emergencies that threaten or impact normal government operations, the delivery of essential services, or public health and safety.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Strategic Planning and Business Process Improvement: One of only three firms selected by the FEMA Office of Policy & Program Analysis (OPPA) to offer these services. Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA) Number: HSFE40-14-A-0163. Valid through 2019.
- Region IX. Continuity of Operations/Government (COOP/COG): Planned and coordinated full-scale functional exercises for over 75 Federal Executive Board agencies.
- Public Assistance and Community Disaster Loan Programs: Provided analysis and recommendations on loans and Category B claims in California, Florida and Georgia.
- Claim Processing and Financial Management Systems: Conducted in-depth policy analysis; identified over $20 million in cost savings by uncovering overpayments and procedural deficiencies; represented FEMA before local and state government public forums.
- Disaster Communication and Training: Worked with Presidentially-appointed Public Assistance Officers to develop nationwide communication plans; conducted training and facilitated focus groups for hundreds of FEMA managers and line staff on the new processes, policies and procedures.
California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES)
- Statewide Emergency Management Strategic Plan: In cooperation with state, local, tribal, and federal partners, as well as with the private sector, provided a five-year framework, the first of its kind for the State; awarded the Intergovernmental Collaboration award by American Society for Public Administration (ASPA).
- State Emergency Plan (SEP) Update: Conducted a gap analysis that established benchmarks, identifying areas for SEP improvement; analyzed existing materials applicable and transferable under the constructs of NIMS and the NRF to the SEP.
- State Emergency Functions (EFs): Developed the CA-EF Toolkit employed by state agencies; worked with stakeholders from CalOES, HHS, and other state and local agencies; non-government entities, such as volunteer groups, private sector firms and utilities.
California Homeland Security Division
- Tabletop Exercises (TTX): Conducted exercises for state agencies and northern California counties to test their Emergency Operations Plans, Standard Operating Procedures, and Continuity of Operations and Continuity of Government Plans in compliance with Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program (HSEEP) guidelines. Developed a Master Scenario Events List (MSEL); the Controller/ Evaluator (C/E) Handbook; the exercise Evaluation Plan (EVALPLAN); and the After Action Report (AAR).